I don’t understand how airplanes stay in the sky. I don’t understand how a needle runs around a record’s surface and then sound, exactly like the original recorded sound, comes out. I don’t understand how ants know to walk in a line, or how salmon know exactly where to return for spawning. I don’t understand 1/1,000,000th of the mysteries of this world. In a life so complicated, are there really any certainties? Are there any things that are sure?
Yes. There are. There are things spoken by God, who does not vacillate or lie, who doesn’t hedge His bets or make things up as He goes along. And as His beloved child, no matter today’s feeling or fear or frustration, you can rest on His spoken sureties. His certainties.
Here are five never-changing, base-your-life-on-them truths. As you read them, slow down. Make the words, which at first glance might seem impersonal, personal. For instance, #1, personalized, would read, “God has spoken to me, and the Bible is His Word, given to me to make me wise unto salvation.” #2 would read, “God is Lord and King over me; He rules all the things that happen in my life for His own glory…so that I, along with angels might worship and adore Him.”
Personalize J.I. Packer’s five certainties, thinking, as you read, about how to apply them to your life:
1. God has spoken to man, and the Bible is his Word, given to us to make us wise unto salvation.
2. God is Lord and King over his world; he rules all things for his own glory, displaying his perfections in all that he does, in order that men and angels may worship and adore him.
3. God is Savior, active in sovereign love through the Lord Jesus Christ to rescue believers from the guilt and power of sin, to adopt them as his children and to bless them accordingly.
4. God is triune; there are within the Godhead three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit; and the work of salvation is one in which all three act together, the Father purposing redemption, the Son securing it, and the Spirit applying it.
5. Godliness means responding to God’s revelation in trust and obedience, faith and worship, prayer and praise, submission and service. Life must be seen and lived in the light of God’s Word. This and nothing else is true religion. (J.I. Packer, Knowing God)
Store these things that are sure, these certainties, in your mind and heart. Ask God to “open your eyes to see the wonderful truths in His instructions” (Psalm 119:18), and to give you steely determination to see and live your life, no matter your day’s feeling, fear or frustration, in the light of His Word.